Graduated driving licences: 'The crash was down to inexperience'

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I notice the article says she was driving fast but within the speed limit, almost as if it makes it ok. As a instructor I always teach drive according to conditions, speed limits are limits and not targets. Especially in rural areas there are many many areas you shouldn’t be anywhere near the speed limit for the road conditions.

It wouldn’t happen if people drive more carefully with respect for the roads.

How about This, teach them properly? Make a night lesson and things compulsory. With the cost of learning already it's ridiculous that it's not included. No don't put restrictions on new drivers! Half are only driving as public transport is awful!

I passed my test 3 months ago, I use my car for my work as well as to take my son to school, this is a heartbreaking story but these restrictions could have really negative results for families and communities. Also, I am gobsmacked by how many dangerous actions are carried out by experienced drivers on a daily basis, taxi and bus drivers included. Over- confidence can be just as dangerous, any proposed restrictions for them?

"This wouldn't have occurred if graduated driving licences were in place in the UK."

A tragic accident which, however, had nothing to do with her inexperience in my eyes. Most drivers, regardless of how long they've had their licence don't adapt to the road and wheather conditions but see speed limits as targets

In Austria and Germany we have driving security centres. Within a year after getting your drivers licence you have to go there and take a course. There they prep the grounds so they're wet and/or icy for you to train driving under such conditions. EG when your weels spin on icy roads you drive slower but STAY in a higher gear so your car has less power and the weels are less likely to spin. They have water fountains so you can train what it's like when suddenly an obstacle in fron of you and how to do an emergency breaking (usually people take up to 5 times until they have the courage to actually do it) and/or how to maneuvre around the obstacle with or without and antiskid system in your car. They make you drive WAY too quick in a roundabout so you will learn whow to react when your car slides out of the curve.Things like that. But it seems that with Austria's and Germany's geography such training might me more urgent than in the UK (but I might be wrong so don't crucify me).

This was a terrible incident. And the girls who died will always be loved by their families.
However, in the driving test you are taught that in wet conditions for safety you must drive at a slower speed, especially round corners. And it's not just young people. Older adults do it too.
The issue i have with GDL is would they be able to drive on motorways as some people have to for work or uni? If so, is it safe to go only 45 mph? Where I live even in the slow lane people go at least 60, other lanes 80.

Why punish every driver for the faults of a few. Restrictions at night time? Are you serious? That's great and all but I'm a 31 year old woman who needs to drive for work and only passed a driving test 1 year ago. Not had any issues like this because I took plenty of lessons and learned about slowing down in wet conditions etc.

Maybe they should introduce a night-time element into the driving test (or confirmation from the instructor that night time lessons have taken place) plus I also believe that motorway driving and poor weather driving should also form part of the learners progress!!
I can pass my test at 17, having never driven in the dark or in bad weather or on a motorway.....
What's to stop my driving on the M6 at night in a downpour, only a few hrs after passing my test, even though I haven't had any experience of any of those 3 elements?? (*the answer currently, is nothing sadly).

We have graduated driving licenses in Perth, Australia and it certainly does not make them better drivers !

Graduated driving licences-  'The crash was down to inexperience'.JPG

That's fine and all but what about all the experienced drivers who drive recklessy, speed, cut lanes and never indicate....it's really sad what happened but if it was due to weather conditions then i doubt night restrictions and number of passeners would have changed anything.
:( a very unfortunate accident.

As a survivor of two car crashes caused by the other vehicle drivers, I find that this idea is absolutely brilliant. Learners should also have more training for dangerous driving circumstances. During my first crash, my tiny car got hit by a thirty-ton truck driver who did not see he was entering a traffic jam because he was not looking at the road but grabbing something from the bottom of his truck - and this I saw in my mirror and I keep reliving those seconds before the crash, when I look at the mirror begging him to brake but he doesn't and my entire body felt this careless driver was about to end my life. There was nothing I could do but brace myself and swear at his idiocy. My second car crash, it started to snow, and a small truck decided to try to overtake, but lost control, it hit my car very violently and we went spinning super fast. My car was a write-off. The very expensive baby seat saved my daughter's life. There was probably nothing I could have done differently, but the other driver could have just slowed down and not try to overtake my car when it all became slippery, and try to correct his trajectory. Two car crashes, constant pain, fierce PTSD, but I am still alive.

I am sorry for his loss and agree that new drivers need to be properly trained but then he said this: ‘’It would prevent injuries to people and it would stop families having to go through what mine and Skye's family has gone through," he says. I am furious he doesn’t mention the severely injured van driver and HIS family - they are the victim of somebody else’s bad driving and have to carry the consequences, I feel very sorry for him and them.

There should be restrictions on driving licences, for vehicle power, according to age and experience.