Woman, 76, 'survives on cheese' after pension payment error

admin

Administrator
Staff member
If her sons (or other family) live nearby they should be physically checking in on her regularly. I call my elderly mother daily, I visit her weekly. Had someone done that it wouldn't have required the intervention of a stranger to get this woman to the food bank & resources. Please make time & look after your elders!

So we dont blame the benefits people?

Not everyone has the ability to stay in contact with family members daily. I think you are judging too quickly and based on your own personal (keyword, "personal") experiences. She hid this from her own family. Who is to say that her children did not check in on her every so often? Lets not make any assumptions on how much the family cares for her. Its not unusual, in fact, it is quite common to have family scattered across the land, across distances that make it impractical to physically visit a family member regularly. Good for you that you live close enough to your mother that you can check in on her often and regularly. Not everyone has that luxury though. If anything, it was the bureaucrats who screwed up. Not her children. Also, I was raised not to check out what sort of food someone else has stocked in their fridge or pantry. Its bad form. Unless they tell me to feel free to raid the fridge, I don't go into it without invitation.

aren't you the saint.

I haven’t got nothing good to say about her children or family , my dad passed away in April not a day goes by without some family members dropping by to see my Mother also to ensure she is alright. That’s what family are for to stick together through good time and bad .

Then keep your unkind thoughts to yourself if you must preface your comment with "I haven’t got nothing good to say about her children or family". You do not know their particular situation. Not everyone has such a large family as you do. Not everyone has their family living in the same area. What happened to this woman is not a reflection on her family. It is a reflection on the bureaucratic system that allowed such a gross mistake to occur in the first place.

Diane Geraghty lived on cheddar left over from her husband’s funeral after her pension stopped because officials thought she had died.

Woman, 76, 'survives on cheese' after pension payment error.JPG

I can't believe that ..I take my mum every week loads of food she's 96 iwe her family are always looking after her after all she looked after us for long enough. .look after your mum's you'll never have another one xx.

My Stepdad has been struggling badly since my Mum died because the household income has been cut. He’s worked his whole life and did National Service... I don’t think the means testing is fair for pensioners who lose a spouse; at least, that’s my experience and I hate seeing him struggle (he won’t accept financial help from me)

Sounds a bit suspicious. How much cheese was there left that she and two dogs could survive on it for six weeks, and how come her children did not notice ?